Friday, 14 June 2013

World Gin Day

A post dedicated to gin. I'm hoping because my first post is based on alcohol, you're not all going to judge. But apparently today is 'World Gin Day' and due to my love of traditions and holidays, I thought it would be rude not to post about it. Gin is without a doubt my favourite drink. Throughout my first year at University, I never settled for anything less than having the good old Bombay Sapphire for pre-drinks (which was probably the reason why I was never out of my overdraft). So to go for food and drinks to a gin bar with my housemates before they leave Newcastle, seemed like a perfect way to end our three years together. 

Pleased to Meet You (http://ptmy-newcastle.co.uk/) is a cool new bar and restaurant with the most extensive gin menu I've ever seen. You can create your own personal gin and tonic with three different steps: choose the brand/flavour of gin, the tonic, and then the garnish to make it all pretty (obviously very necessary). 


As always, I was way too indecisive, and ended up going with one of the funky recommended combinations- the Hoxton pink grapefruit and coconut gin with a Fentimens tonic and a slice of pink grapefruit. 



I could really taste the flavours of the gin, which was a nice change to the standard taste of three squeezed limes in my usual G&T. The crystal glass and grapefruit slice, as well as adorable Fentimens little bottle, made it all that bit better, so 10/10 for the visit so far. 

The decor and interior design was beautifully designed, and we were lucky enough to have our own little private area which had a huge chandelier and floor to ceiling chalk board menus. The atmosphere was buzzing and because we hadn't booked we had to wait around 15 minutes to be seated, which was a very good sign to say they had been open for less than two weeks. It had a very chilled out vibe, with most people just having drinks on the tables as opposed to having food. 


Two of my three lovely housemates... please don't leave :(

So this was in the toilets. Pretty random.

But obviously, with us all being massive foodies, we had gone for the food just as much as the gin. The kitchen shut at 9pm which made it seem like it was more of a bar in the evening than a restaurant. We all decided to go for the pulled pork on brioche but unfortunately they had run out (more of a reason to visit again to try it!). So instead we all went for the classic PTMY burger with vintage cheddar cheese and smoked streaky bacon which came with home made chips and a mustard slaw. I shared one of these with my friend Alice as well as sharing another very tasty dish 'Amble Butchers Chorizo with Saffron Mash' with shallots and and a sherry liquor. As I said, I'm always so indecisive when it comes to good menus, so we made a good choice to go halves on two dishes. 




  
I am definitely going to visit again, as it ticked every box you want for a good night out. Good drinks, good food, good atmosphere and also very reasonably priced. It is just off Grey Street in the centre of Newcastle so it is easy to find and a two minute walk from the Monument metro. 

So even though I didn't visit on World Gin Day, I thought the least I could do was dedicate a post to my love of gin and a recent visit to a gin bar. Has anyone else been swapping their standard vodka and lemonade for a gin combo today for World Gin Day? Feel free to comment and link me to your blogs!

Olivia Dee xx

No comments:

Post a Comment