Sunday, 7 July 2013

My week at St Oswald's

For the past week, I have volunteered in the Communications Department at St Oswald's Hospice. St Oswald's is a registered charity based in the North East of England which provides specialist care for local children, young people and adults.

It has been an amazing week with lots of things going on. They had a 'Biscuit Bake Off' on Wednesday afternoon to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the children's hospice. People in the hospice were asked to bake their best biscuits, with awards of 'Most Innovative Design' and 'Tastiest Biscuit' up for grabs. Aimee from the Communications Department won the most innovative design with love heart shaped three layered custard creams. We were very happy to win as a department even though she did all the hard work! After the awards were given, we all had tea with the biscuits, and it's fair to say I got a bit carried away. From the chocolatey cookies, to the home made jaffa cakes; I tried them all.



Other than this event, I was helping prepare for the Midnight Walk they hold every year. It is a 10km walk that starts at 12 midnight from the centre of Newcastle. This year however, it was musical themed so everyone had to come dressed up as someone from a musical. I was in my element, as it's fair to say I love musicals a bit too much (and fancy dress).

So after much thought, I decided to go as a scarecrow. He's definitely my fave from Wizard of Oz.



It was amazing to see all the effort all the walkers had put in. There were plenty of pink ladies, nuns and even Shrek and Princess Fiona made an appearance. It was a very emotional night, as many people were walking in memory of a loved one. But overall, it had a very positive vibe and the atmosphere was buzzing throughout the night with different musical songs being performed by singers, dancers, and even hula hoopers!

Just before all the walkers set off, a Guinness World Record was set for the biggest hand jive. Everyone got so into it and it was so fun to be involved.

Born to hand jive, baby!

There were 900 walkers at the event, who will in total hopefully raise around £100,000.

I have another week of the placement left, so I am really excited to see what it has in store.

For more information on the charity, visit their website to read more about the amazing work they do.

Olivia Dee xx

1 comment:

  1. This looks like so much fun I want to hear more about your work experience!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete